Do I qualify?
To qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan you must be:
- Aged 19 or over on the first day of your course. There’s no upper age limit.
- Living in the UK on the first day of your course and have lived in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for three years immediately before this.
- Studying with a college or training organisation in England approved for public funding.
- Enrolling on an eligible course at Level 3 to 6.
The loan will fund your college course at Level 3 and above. You can apply for up to 4 loans and you can get more than one at the same time. You can apply for another loan to take the same level of course, for example the same level qualification in Beauty Therapy Massage and Nail Technology.
Repaying your Advanced Learner Loan is straightforward
You’ll only repay your student loan when your income is over the threshold amount for your repayment plan. The threshold amounts change on 6 April every year.
The earliest you’ll start repaying is either:
- The April after you leave your course.
- The April 4 years after the course started, if you’re studying part-time.
Your repayments automatically stop if either:
- You stop working.
- Your income goes below the threshold.
If you have a Plan 1 student loan, you’ll only repay when your income is over £364 a week or £1,577 a month (approx. £19k per year before tax and other deductions).
If you have a Plan 2 student loan, you’ll only repay when your income is over £494 a week or £2,143 a month (approx. £26,575k per year before tax and other deductions).